Sunday, February 6, 2011

Game Design Document

I put this together this morning. It was based on a number of example documents I found via google. I think a GDD can be overkill for a lot of stuff, especially for those ideas that haven't really gestated beyond a high level concept yet. But I also find that I don't record my ideas as diligently as I should, and a lot of stuff just gets forgotten or mashed up into something else over time.

This document has a fairly comprehensive list of topics, many of which won't be pertinent until an idea actually becomes a product, but still I thought it'd be good to have the template available so that when I do think "I should document this idea", I can fill in the parts I'm clear on and then drop the document into a work in progress folder to come back to later.

I could also just have a notepad and a pen, but where's the fun in that?

Here's a link if anyone thinks they might want to use it.

Game Design Document (Word 97 format)

No comments:

Post a Comment